Saturday, October 8, 2011

31 Days of Homemaking - Day 8 - 2 Tips on How to Clean Your House

I'm no expert on how to clean your house.  If you came to mine on any given day without me knowing company is coming, you'd see why I'm not expert.  But, I have learned a couple of little tricks a long the way that help keep my house manageable (sometimes).

I read the book The House that Cleans Itself by Mindy Starns Clark.  It's excellent!  I actually need to read it again...it's been 3 years ago!


Tip 1:  Look at all of the places where your clutter/messes seem to always be.  For example:  Do you throw your keys down on the table right next to the front door?  Do you throw your mail on the kitchen island?  Your shoes in the living room?  Etc, Etc.  Notice all of those clutter spots that you know have become routine spots for you, and put an organizational element there to keep it nice and neat.  So, put a little basket for keys on the table by the front door, or a mail bin in the kitchen.....so on and so forth.  Make your house fit you, not the other way around.

Tip 2:  Keep all of the cleaning supplies you need for a particular space in that particular space.  For example:  have Clorox wipes in the kitchen and in every bathroom.  Have trash bags in every room with a trash can.  Paper towels, toilet paper, Windex....whatever you need there...keep in there.  You're more likely to clean a space when everything you need is right there at your finger tips.  I even have a vacuum cleaner for upstairs and one for downstairs.  I just know I'm more likely to use it that way.

Happy Homemaking! :)   

No comments:

Post a Comment