Wednesday, February 10, 2010

What's for dinner?

Today we had a snow day - - I love them! But, I am ready for warm weather. Thankfully, we'll be headed to FL in a couple of weeks! Wooohoo!!

Miah and I have been on this exercise/health journey together. He really is a lot better at it than I am. He's so motivated and disciplined. I have a lot to learn.

We have been cooking most of our dinner recipes out of the Biggest Loser Family Cookbook and the Cooking Light Complete Cookbook. I have been pleasantly surprised at how delicious the recipes are. We've mostly been trying to eat less calories, less fat, less sodium, and more fresh foods. Tonight I was in the mood for chili, and thought I'd try something completely different. My friend Susan's mom, Mary, had us over for dinner one night and made White Chicken Chili...OMGosh it was so yummy and comforting! :)









She told me she used Rachael Ray's recipe...I found it online:

Ingredients

  • 1 32-ounce box chicken stock
  • 3 cans white beans, left undrained
  • 5 cups cooked chicken (rotisserie or boiled)
  • 1 16-ounce jar salsa
  • 1 8-ounce block pepper jack cheese, grated
  • 2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Black or white pepper to taste
  • 1/2 cup finely crushed corn chips (optional, if you like your chili thicker)
  • Sour cream, for garnish

Yields: 6 servings

Preparation

Place all ingredients except the corn chips in a crockpot. Cook on high until the cheese is melted.

Chili may also be cooked on the stovetop over medium-high heat until cheese is melted.

When the chili is ready, add the crushed corn chips, if using, and simmer for 10 minutes to thicken. Garnish with more chips, cheese and/or sour cream and serve.


I tried going with healthier options to make it (low sodium, fat free, etc. etc). I have no clue how many calories this actually comes out to...I probably don't want to know ;).

For a side (a healthy side) we're having the cucumber/red onion/tomato/lite ranch thingy from The Biggest Loser Family Cookbook. It's so easy, and hardly any calories, plus you're getting all veggies. Basically, you cut the cucumber lengthwise, then cut each length in half so you have 4 fairly large pieces of cucumber. De-seed the cucumbers. Chop the onion and tomato into small pieces. Fill the cucumber boats with the onion and tomato. Then, drizzle lite ranch on top. It's pretty yummy (and easy), too.

If I didn't love food so much, this weight-loss thing may be a lot easier! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment