Monday, July 13, 2009

I Squashed it!



So...I decided to try canning. Canning has always seemed so domestic and like the 'right' thing to do once I got older, married, and had a garden. This year was my first experience with it, and, I must say, while it's very hard work...it's very rewarding.

I'll share my recipe and experience with you.

What started it was the Club Hope garden. Club Hope is the 1st-6th grade class I teach at church on Wednesday nights. The lessons taught are more practical and related directly to life...so this summer we decided to plant a garden. It has been so much fun! The kids have learned a lot and so have I. Miah (my husband) grew up on a farm, so he already knew all of that stuff...but it was a brand new experience for me. I must say, working in the garden is not my favorite, but working with what comes out of the garden is. :)

Club Hope planted a big garden with squash, tomatoes, corn, green peppers, red peppers, and yellow peppers...am I forgetting anything?? We've had squash coming out of our ears, so I took a few home. My mom also gave me squash from my parent's garden, so I knew I had plenty to can with.

I love chow chow and wanted something similar...it's SO YUMMY on pinto beans.

Here's the Allen family recipe....from my mother's kitchen

Ingredients:
8 c. sliced squash
2 c. sliced onions
4 green peppers in strips
2 tea. mustard seed
3 c. sugar
2 c. vinegar cider
2 tea. celery seed
1.5 tea. tumeric
2.5 tbls. pimentos

Put onions and squash in a bowl add 4 tsp. salt. Stir one or twice and let stand 1 hour - Drain and rinse and drain again.

Bring to boil the sugar, vinegar, seeds, and peppers - add squash and onions. Bring to boil a 2nd time and boil 5 mins.

Put into hot jars and seal.
Refrigerate before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment